Tuesday, June 10, 2008

beer can garden...

So I was delivering in a certain area of Ft. Worth and I dropped by to see one of my favorite things... the beer can garden....


This is in one of those neglected neighborhoods, that existed before the warehouses and factories were built around it. Fort Worth actually has a lot of these little neglected neighborhoods. Little houses with a train track through the back yard, or a fish packing plant across the street... One of the big advantages to living in these neighborhoods, is that you can do whatever you want. The city tries to forget they exist... so you're in the middle of the city
and see a small herd of goats, or geraniums planted in an old commode, or a beer can garden...

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that I want to do this. And if my neighbor tried it, I would throw a fit on an absolutely lunar level... but it's nice to think that there's room in the world for this sort of thing... I mean, it's a big country, I think there should be room for anything somewhere...

Well, it turns out that this neighborhood is undergoing urban renewal, and nearby is being bulldozed for condos... so the city has made him reduce that up there to this...



The thing is... before it was kind of cool... One string of beer cans hanging from a tree is, undeniably, tacky, but there is a point where 100 of them become folk art... the breeze through the cans made a really relaxing sursuration, and some of them are cut to spin and catch the light.

Now, condensed and belittled, it's gone back to just tacky.

As for the yuppie condos coming in... hey, this guy was here first... isn't there some sort of Grandfather clause?

Anyway, I was just posting random thoughts... probably one of my wierder posts... but I've had a wierd day.

2 comments:

  1. Only in Texas...I love it. Thanks for a laugh and stopping by.

    ReplyDelete