Thursday, April 16, 2009

The rose pavillion...

Back to the Fort Worth Botanic Garden...

This time the rose garden... I've lost my little piece of paper where I wrote down all the names of all the varieties... so I'm having to depend on my memory here. I have no idea what this ones called...

This is the view looking down the hill from the rose pavillion. The pavilion was built in 1930 or 1931, and was the first public works project built by the government during the great depression... it's really a great little building, and the waterfalls go down the center of the rose beds. The beds are filled with Knockout, Pink Knockout and Blushing Knockout... which aren't my faves... they're semi-double blooms on bushes that are often used as hedges... nice enough though. When you stand in the pavilion, the breeze comes up the hill and you get the best scent from all the roses coming up to you...


After you get to the bottom of the hill, there are beds to the right, and even more extensive beds to the left...

This is a climber named Carnea... an antique rose that was introduced in 1804 or 1805... I was really impressed with it, so I remembered it...
This is one of the squirels... they're very tame in the Gardens, if you have something they want, they'll come right up to you and take it out of your hands... This guy was wondering if I was gonna cough up a cookie, no doubt...

This one I remember because I loved the color... Cinco de Mayo... the colors are just as festive as the name implies!

This is from the bottom of the garden looking up the hill...
And this final pic is the only hybrid tea rose I have here in my yard... Someone gave this rose bush to my mom as a gift, and then she gave it to me... so, here's Blue Girl... even though I think it's more lavender than anything else... pardon the dried edges to the petals... she's in a very exposed area and I think the wind dried her out some...


Hoping you all have a great day!

4 comments:

  1. Impressive rose garden...at sounds like a nice place for eyes and noses to hang out!!!

    I agree with you about the Cinco de Mayo...gorgeous color! Kinda reminds me of that little house you had found, before they painted it a new boring color!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love rose gardens and so enjoy the scent wafting through large ones. I read that KnockOuts don't have any scent. Do you know if that's true? My roses are really beat up from the wind too. Right now is when they are the most prolific, so it's such a shame that so many are damaged. I did get a few good photos just before the latest wind gusts so I'll have some to post next week.
    Aiyana

    ReplyDelete
  3. Long ago I had a few roses, then like a lot of my plants, they all died at once! Great shots!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wish the comment moderation had spell check- sometimes it takes over 6 tries before I get it right!! sometimes I never get it right......Dyslexia

    ReplyDelete