Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Fort Worth Botanical garden... again...

Well, I got stuck in Ft. Worth at the end of the day, so I decided to drop by the Botanic Garden... I got tons of pics, but in this post, I think I'll confine myself to the cactus garden. I can't say that I'm particularly fond of the Cactus garden here... It's kind of wedged between the Japanese garden and the Oak Grove, and although the plants seem to do all right, I've always thought that they looked uncomfortable there... It consists of a kidney shaped planting bed full of a few winter hardy plants, and a whole bunch of cactus that are planted out every spring just sticking up out of the gravel... not my favorite kind of cactus garden. I much prefer a few other plants mixed in... anyway, this is surrounded by a ring of yucca, agave, mesquite and such. But, as far as I know, it's the only public cactus garden in the area, so I guess we'll live with it...

here's the claret cups...


And here's the Texas Horse cripplers...











And I forget what these are called, but I'm pretty sure they're some sort of Echinopsis...





The tall columnar cactus have just been planted out, and had big huge rebar stakes holding them up until their roots establish... (about a month) and the Golden Barrels all had sun-shade caps on them, so I didn't bother with them this visit...
And over the next few days, I'll try to post the pics of the rose garden and the entrance to the Japanese garden... It costs $3.00 to go into the Japanese garden, and I just knew that the second I paid for it, I'd get a call and have to run...

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the tour...I've been patiently waiting for my Claret Cup Hedgehogs to bloom, but they are still shrunken from their winter dormancy, so it will be a while longer. The other cacti are also interesting--I also wonder what the one cactus could be.
    Aiyana

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you found a lot of blooms there!!! Nice shots! What a wonderful waiting time you had for your next call to come in!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I was there a few years ago...and was drenched when the automated mister was turned on during a hot afternoon, water was everywhere....not that I mind, your summer is scorching !

    ReplyDelete