Thursday, June 19, 2008

senecio...

So, after the infamous raccoon -cat debate that took place in my yard... see 4 posts back... I am out of potting soil. What could be easier than dropping by home depot on my way home and grabbing a bag, right?

So I'm walking in, ignoring all the annuals, and I pass the cactus table... and we all know how this story ends, right?

well, here he is...
The label says he's a Senecio scaposus...

now, the real question... does anybody out there know what this is? Or what it does? Does it bloom? How big does it get? Anything?

2 comments:

  1. Following info from www.succulentlane.blogspot.com:

    Family: Asteraceae (ass-ter-AY-see-ay)
    * Asteraceae: The aster (daisy) family, formerly Compositae
    Genus: Senecio (sen-NEESH-shee-oh))
    * Senecio: Latin form of old man refers to hairy parts of flowers
    Species: Scaposus (ska-POH-sus)
    * Scaposus: Having many scapes (leafless flower stalks)
    Common Name: Silver Coral
    Min. Temp: To 36° F
    Exposure: Full sun to partial shade
    Mature Height: 12 inches tall
    Bloom: Late spring to early summer
    Bloom Color: Bright yellow
    Water: When top inch of soil is dry to the touch. Water generously until water flows out of the bottom of the planter. Do not water again until soil is dry. (Discard extra water in plant saucer to prevent root rot.)
    Propagation Methods: Stem cutting
    Plant Pests: Prone to aphids, mealy bugs and rarely spider mites or whitefly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw your plant here, because I had just seen it on the blog above! Worked out real easy to find the info!!! LOL.

    ReplyDelete