Thursday, May 01, 2008

More cactus pics...

well, I'm having a bit of a fit posting nowdays aren't I?


Echinocereus reichenbachii v. baileyii, a.k.a. Baileys lace cactus. You can see him down the page... The bud on the right should be opening tomorrow... the great thing is that yesterday, these buds were both the same size. That's a lot of growth for one day !

Passiflora incarnata... the native Texas passionflower... just to prove I can grow something besides cactus, I can also grow rampaging vines...

The name passionflower refers to the passion of Christ. The three pistols are the three nails of the crucifixion, the five stamens are the five wounds suffered by Christ, the corrolla is the crown of thorns, and the 10 petals are the 10 disciples that were present at the crucifixion... or that's what the priests told the natives when they tried to convert them, right before they used them as near slave labor... but that's another story.
just an agave. Don't know exactly what kind, I bought it from one of those people by the side of the road. But I like it, and I'll figure it out eventually...

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the meaning of all of the parts of the passionvine flower! I was telling someone about it, but I did not know all of the story! Sure is a gorgeous bloom, is it not???

    ReplyDelete
  2. Could your plant be Agave Augustifolia 'Marginata'????? I saw pics online, and it looks very much the same. It is pretty...I may need to get some!

    ReplyDelete