Friday, November 25, 2011

Black Friday

I don't take part in Black Friday. 

I find the whole concept appalling. 

Probably because of things like THIS.

Now, before I continue... this video is a Wal-mart riot depicting people risking life and limb for the right to spend $2 on a waffle iron.  And, to be quite blunt, most of the people in that video would do well to lay off the waffles... there aren't many that I'd exactly call slender.  But that's beside the point I suppose.

You see, I was raised to believe that Christmas was a celebration of the birth of Christ.  Unfortunately, it seems to have devolved into some sort of Capitalist Pig-out.  (Don't worry... I'm not going to go off on a Jesus is the Reason for the season rant.)

Now, I'll always admit that there was a certain desperation about gifts.  Especially for children.  But I don't recall anybody risking injury to get any gifts.  This year I have, through facebook, read stories and seen videos of people getting maced, trampled and even a few stories about gun-fire. 

Come on people.

So... I'm going to announce now... DON'T BUY ME ANY PRESENTS.  The mere thought of somebody risking serious bodily injury for the sake of purchasing somthing for me makes me cringe.

I don't want anything.  If you absolutely have to get me something, then make it, or bake cookies or something.  There are a few gifts that I have to give, and I'm making them. 

You see, when I was a youngster, I developed a case of mononucleosis.  This was back in the day when the treatment for mono demanded complete bed rest.  I think it was 6 weeks... but to a 8 year old it felt like half a life time.  As I lay there, perishing of sheer unadulterated boredom, my Grandmother took it upon herself to sit with me.  Consequently, I learned how to knit, crochet and tat.  My close friends are recieving hand made scarves.  I may send out a few cards.  That's gonna be about it.

Now, kids probably need something storebought.  Fortunately, I don't have any kids to buy for.  If you do, you have my pity.  But the rest of you people are full grown adults and if you're one of those people who have an internal calculator that keeps tally of the cost of every present you recieve... grow up or get the hell out of my house, because you're gonna be bitterly disapointed.  

4 comments:

  1. Claude,

    I for one got over this whole gift giving / receiving thing years ago, well at Christmas anyway. I do for family and friends through out the year and don’t feel the need to make a show come the 25th of December. That said, I am not a Scrooge about the season, we decorate the house and the oven gets a real work out with baking. All through out the month of December we host several get together’s were family and friends can kick off their shoes and sit back and just relax. Plenty of food, plenty of drink, and lots of good conversations, the nice thing about baked goods is “one size fits all”, lol. – gary

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen, brother!

    I never go shopping on Black Friday. In fact, I try to stay out of the stores as much as possible during the holiday season. I cross stitched my gifts this year.

    The kids don't "need" something store bought. You can make gifts for them too, and if the little ingrates are so rude as to whine about it not being store bought then take it back and give them a lump of coal and give the present to some needy kids who will appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...someone finally agrees with me about all this! We made a pact in the house this year to do homemade for each other...calm, peaceful, and meaningful Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's so cute that you know how to knit!

    ReplyDelete