Saturday, May 22, 2010

Pseudoechinopsis

well, I woke up at 5 am out of habit, and I don't have to be anywhere until 9:30 so I was goofing off with the plants... as much as you can in the dark that is...

I did have this little guy blooming outside the back door this morning... one of those annoying ID's... Pseudoechinopsis 'dominoes' although the tag also says Echinopsis species... I don't really like those kind of ID's... it's not a real ID as far as I'm concerned...



And the tag didn't say one darned thing about it being a night-bloomer. Which is OK I suppose, but not really... all it had was a bunch of standard Echinopsis info that I'm not entirely sure is going to be accurate for this plant... I'd like to know how big the plant gets, if it produces offsets or just sits there like a lump, what kind of temperatures can it be exposed to... that sort of thing.



And of course, there's nothing on the web about it at all...
I'm pretty sure that it's a hybrid of some sort, only because most echinopsis you see are and I don't think the name pseudoechinopsis is valid, but I certainly may be wrong.
Other than that... I couldn't tell you.
Anyway... I brought the thing in and took a pic. It is a nice enough plant, and it blooms well. Night blooming plants have the advantage of blooming when I'm home, but they have the disadvantage of blooming when I'm asleep, and usually when I can't stay up all night to see them because I've got things to do in the morning.
And, just as an aside... The second Sago palm is definitely putting up leaves... I'm not expecting as much from this one. 1) the trunk is smaller which means the plant is probably younger and 2) it only had 4 leaves left alive on the plant when I found it, so it's probably not been photosynthesising as much energy for new growth as the other plant. But we'll see, won't we?

2 comments:

  1. OK! I know when it comes to cacti I am such a barbarian, but I did not know that they (some) send up such a large bloom stalk. So I am sitting here looking at the picture in sheer amazemnet.The bloom is beautiful. Well I guess this counts as my "something new learned" today. As glad to hear (ok, read) that the little sago is still hanging in there. Have a great weekend. - G

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG! This is a freak baby plant! Wowzers of a bloom!!! Unbelievable!!!

    ReplyDelete