Tuesday, March 30, 2010

So, I was driving along minding my own business today, when I took a cut through a neighborhood in Ft. Worth, (not the best neighborhood, btw) to avoid a traffic issue on the road.

My GPS started sputtering... it's not good with deviations from its planned route. It has control issues... and I suddenly had to come to a screeching halt.

OK. I'm exaggerating. I was going maybe 30 mph. There was no screeching of the tires involved. But I did have to come to a rather abrupt halt.

Here's why.

I saw this in someones yard :


This massive cactus clump has obviously been here for a very long time... and it would appear to have survived this winters record breaking temps.
Please, please, please... somebody tell me what this plant is called.
I want one.
I want one really really badly.
There were other cactus in the yard too... including a 6 foot tall cholla nestled up against the mailbox. I'm sure the mail man is just thrilled with that. There was also a few prickly pears, and a ferocactus wislenzeni... that has outgrown it's attractive stage. The F. wislenzeni will survive our winters fairly well, but not usually unscathed. They're cute as a bug when they're small... but after they get big... not so much. But... I digress...
I couldn't hang for long, I was on a run, but I did take note of the address so that I can keep my eye on this plant over the next few months and take more pics when the blooms show up... in the close-up pic, you can see the fuzzy beginnings of buds starting out. And if I just happen to be in the neighborhood when they go to seed... or better yet, when the owner cuts off a branch and puts it by the road in the trash... oh well...

3 comments:

  1. OMG! You had me actually laughing out loud right here on the couch, while tryig to watch TV! First...Aiyana may know what those cactus are. They either look like mushrooms or other things I dare not mention! Not sure I would want that in my front yard, if ya know what I mean! LOLOL!

    Then the cholla cactus by the mailbox is such a funny vision! LOLOL...why the ----- would someone want that next to their mailbox??? I just could hardly keep but falling of the couch laughing and envisioning it!!! These must be some very friendly, welcoming people!!! Ha ha ha ha ha.......

    Thanks for the laughs! Glad you weren't really driving too fast to stop safely when you saw these monstrosities!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very wonderful , i like it
    I think it is Echinocereus reichenbachii var. albispinus.??
    I wait see blooms , i hope you have one

    ReplyDelete
  3. We call those cactus Lace Cactus. It is one of the Echinocereus cacti, possibly E. fitchii. I have them growing all over my property here west of Georgetown. They have large, pink, feathery petaled blooms. If your ever coming down to central Texas just let me know on my blog and I will be more than happy to let you have all you want. Bob Pool

    ReplyDelete