Thursday, July 09, 2009

stuck at home...

Well, the AC stopped working on the truck again yesterday. I finished the day at work, but by the end of it, I was a puddle, so back in the shop it goes. It should be done today, and the mechanic knows that I am not happy.

So today, I was sitting here feeling a little depressed, so I went outside to work in the yard... it's a little too hot to be working too hard, so I was actually just goofing off, but I did manage to take some pics...

True to form, the hotter it gets the more the Pavonia blooms...



And today was trash day, and one of my neighbors was throwing this out...

It's a banana tree! Most probably Musa basjoo... the winter hardy variety. To be more accurate, they're winter hardy if you wrap the stems in newspaper or burlap or bubble wrap for the winter, but nobody seems to want to go to the trouble. Otherwise they come up from the root and get about 3 or 4 feet tall before the next winter hits. The ones in my yard get 8 feet tall and bloom, but only because I wrap the trunks every winter...
This plant was still in it's original nursery pot, complete with $9.99 price tag, and while I'll admit that it had definitely seen better days, it's very far from dead. Bananas are oportunistic growers, given a good drink and put in the ground this one would be fine. So I nabbed it, planted it in a pot that somebody else had put out for the garbage a couple of weeks ago... (I'm such a scrounge...)


Trimmed off the broken thrashed leaves,

and in a couple of weeks I'll have a really nice plant to sell at the flea market. Or, if I put some smaller plants in the base of the pot, wait a month, then I can double what I was gonna charge.

And all the while, Phennig was sitting on the carport finding this all rather amusing...

So, I guess something productive happened, and today wasn't totally a bust...
later...





4 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear about your truck! We just walked in the door back home this evening...I am drinking a few glasses of Pinot Noir...I had bought one of those boxes of the stuff before we left on our little trip! It is amazingly good out of the box!

    Anyway...Doozey has fallen asleep, and I am about to as well!

    So happy you have rescued the banana tree!!! Awesome! I was hoping you could keep it, but if it goes to a good owner...what the heck! I love the planter you rescued also!!! You are so good at that!

    I actually turned down going inside an antique mall today...I like the flea markets or thrift shops more! I can't believe what has happened to me...I used to love them all...maybe it is just old age!!! LOL

    Is my wine talking?????.......

    Hope your truck is soon fixed, but regardless, tomorrow is Friday...just take a 3 day holiday!!!

    Hic!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Claude,
    I'm trying to catch up on my blog visits. Love the cat photo! Seems you are always finding ways to make a bit of money from things you find. I've always find those stories so interesting. When I was a kid, our cousin's grandmother (no relation to me) lived by the town dump and she was always going into the dump and getting stuff. I loved hearing her stories about all her finds. I guess that started a fascination with found objects with me. Do you make a lot of money doing your flea market stuff?
    Aiyana

    ReplyDelete
  3. julie - I already have a banana here, and if you have one, you have several... they put out suckers like crazy!

    And I've always maintained that Booze in a Box is a good thing...

    Aiyana - I don't make a lot of money at the flea market, but I do all right... and I enjoy it immensely. If I really think about it, I suppose it's a combination of frugality and creative expression, but overthinking it might be a mistake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I love the banana tree! I've been looking for one in a local nursery- I really want a banana tree! The flowers are beautiful- I've never heard of that variety before. If they like heat they are for me! Have a great weekend Claude!
    Oh and thanks for ID on my mystery plant awhile back-

    ReplyDelete