Saturday, August 31, 2013

Poetry....

I never saw a purple cow, I never hope to 
see one.
But I can tell you anyhow, I'd rather see than be one!
Vachael Lindsey wrote that piece of verse early in his career.  Now, he's almost forgotten, but while he was alive he was considered the most important poet that America had ever produced.  He wrote a lot of poetry... classic verse that was quoted in every newspaper and magazine in the nation.

But this little ditty was then, and still remains his most famous work.  So famous ,that later in his career he wrote
Another poem

Yes, I wrote the people cow, I'm sorry now I wrote it.
But I can tell you anyhow, I'll kill you if you quote it! 

Soon after his death, the Beat Generation began, and all of his work became hopelessly old-fashioned.  Therefore he went from the most famous poet of his age to one of the least read.  I've always been a fan though, and over the next few weeks i may be quoting some more of his work.  

Hope you enjoy it.

2 comments:

  1. I've never seen a purple cow
    I never hope to see one
    But from the milk we're getting now
    There certainly must be one
    -- Odgen Nash

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claude,

    No I have never seen such a beast, but on the rare occasion I have seen the fabled little pink elephants, I think! (LOL) Hoping you are having a busy/good flea market holiday weekend. – gary

    ReplyDelete