Monday, March 02, 2009

They're not prickly plants, but they're blooming!

Northern Gardeners have wonderful little plants called Snowdrops... they bloom right through the snow with little white bells...

We can't grow them here. We don't have enough winter, and our summers make them rot in the ground... We can however grow a closely related plant that gets taller, the Southern Snowflake, Leucojum aestivum. a little taller...

They're nice plants, getting about 12 inches tall and growing thick. The individual blooms aren't that impressive, but they bloom en mass and they create quite a nice little display for about a month every spring. Right after the early daffodills, and at the same time as the mid-season and later daffodils.

Just a quick post to let you know that I'm still around! later

3 comments:

  1. Oh, aren't these just the sweetest??? So soft and delicate looking! I love them! What fun when they come into bloom...I can only imagine!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very pretty little blooms!
    I do have some prickly plants in bloom now. I noticed in your previous post how much your little Mamm has grown from where the flower buds are located on the cactus. That's a lot of growth for one year!
    Aiyana

    ReplyDelete
  3. The snowflakes are really nice! I'm still waiting for my cactus blooms!

    ReplyDelete