Thursday, December 18, 2008

Finally, some pics...

But I'm afraid that they're not very good pics. You see, in this part of the country, the first freeze doesn't turn the landscape into something that looks like Jack Frost has been working his little head off, it turns everything into something that looks pretty much dead... That coupled with the fact that since that darned freeze, we've been plauged with misty rain and fog. Not much fun to drive in, I can assure you...
But I've gone a good while without any pics to post so I was determined to take a pic of something. Anything. Really...

So, when I was driving through Mansfield today, I saw two red-tailed hawks sitting in a tree... they were this years fledglings, which is probably why they were sitting together... Usually hawks are pretty solitary birds... I stopped, but one flew off and I got this pic...

Then, when I was in Mesquite, I saw this cedar tree... It seems to be a natural mutation or variation, but I liked it's kind of spooky shape...
compared with the more normal pyramidal shape of this cedar beside it...

I even took close-ups of the branches so that you can see the difference in how they grow... it's really kind of cool.



I've been reading "Wicked - The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West" by Gregory Maguire. A re-telling of the Oz story. It's actually an old book that I had missed somehow, but I had to read it because I'd already read the sequel... It's call "Son of a Witch" so I had to read this and then re-read the sequel to get everything straight in my head again... They're actually very good books, if you're looking for something that's kind of thought provoking without being too heavy...
And that's about the state of things right now...

Sorry that the pics aren't great!

3 comments:

  1. The hawk pic is amazing! I keep trying to get bird pictures-they are hard!
    Two days of rain is about all I can take.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Photos give the impression hard cold
    nice photo hawk but not like hawks here

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love birds!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Nice tree pics too! I love blue spruce!

    ReplyDelete