Friday, May 07, 2010

The last pot of Chilli for a while...

No pics though... I ate it all up...

For my final pot of chilli for the season, I made one of my Mom's favorite recipes...

Detroit Chilli (I don't really know why this is "Detroit" chilli... but that's what Mom always called it, and I learned at a very young age that questioning her could be dangerous... anyway, this is how it's written in her cookbook... )

brown:
1 lb hamburger
1 diced onion
1 clove crushed garlic

When meat is brown and the onions are transluscent add

3 tblspoons chilli powder (more or less to taste)
3 tblspoons cinnamon
salt and pepper to taste
and enough flour to soak up the grease.

Stir in quickly, so as not to scorch the cinnamon then pour in:

1 bottle of beer

as this is heating up, open 1 large (28 ounce) can of diced tomatoes
2 15 ounce cans of pinto or red beans.

- always drain and rinse beans, that way they won't cause as much gas -

Add tomatoes and beans when the mixture starts boiling, simmer for at least 1 hour, more is better.

It's amazing how the cinnamon and chilli powder combine their flavors...

but it's getting too hot here for chilli. Right at 90 degrees today, and our actual summer heat hasn't hit yet...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for all your nice comments on my blog today!!!

    This chili actually does sound really fantastic. I may have to crank the AC down to around 70 degrees, and sit and eat me a nice hot bowl of it!!! :)

    It is so hot and humid here already too...already miserable out. I hope I can continue gardening in it till my vegie plot wears itself out!

    ReplyDelete