Saturday, July 18, 2009

more cactus planted...

I finally got the ferocactus potted up... I decided that after I had to wash all the icky biodegradable packing peanuts off, I'd give them an extra day to dry off good... I think they'll do fine. I've got about a month or two to find a place in the ground for them, or wait until next spring to do so... I just feel more comfortable giving them plenty of time to establish themselves before they have to deal with the cold...

And here's the Oreocereus celsianus that I got off a clearance rack for 3 bucks... he's 8 inches tall, and the plant can get to 10 feet! I'm not sure that he'll do really well here, but for 3 bucks, I'll experiment. With any luck, he'll survive and I'll get to see some of the red flowers soon...
And that's about it... a lot of the cactus on my list are considered rare in cultivation. The only way I'm going to be able to get them is from seed. After I've double checked hardiness on all of them, because I don't want to get a plant that doesn't have at least a fighting chance, I'll publish the list and see what y'all have to say about them...
I've also found that a lot of the plants listed as hardy all the way up to zone 5 have never been tried! It seems that most people just assume cactus don't grow there and move on to the petunias! So, no matter how careful I am, it seems that I'm experimenting no matter what...

3 comments:

  1. Oh man, your old man is groovy looking, man!!! Ha ha ha! That is a nice big specimen for $ 3.00! It looks good in the ground also!

    Your little babies are cute...I think you should let them stay in their pots for a year and get established!

    Hey...I have new growth on the one you sent me...the Rat Tail...it has white stuff on top coming out...I will get a pic and post it. I am excited because it is starting to take off on it's own! YEAH!!!

    I am going to do a seed challenge on my blog...gonna post the available seeds from the National Cactus and Succulent Society and I'm thinking anyone who wants to can order some and we can all experiment and see what happens! That way we can get some exatic ones and give it a go! What do you think? I will put together the post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I forgot to tell you how much I love your blog title picture!!! Very nice!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the Oreocereus celsianus. Yours looks just about the size of my two. I should try and plant mine in the ground- my goal is to not have quite so many pots. I can't seem to leave them in once place and spend way too much time lugging them around!

    ReplyDelete