Thursday, July 16, 2009

cactus in the ground!

Well, here's one of the appallingly badly packed ferocactus, in his new home in my front rock garden.


The other four are currenly in 4 inch terra cotta pots... which are probably slightly too big for them but I didn't have any other pots handy, so there we are... I'm sure they'll be fine, despite their ordeal in the envelope.

One other thing I should mention... someone once told me that if you write things down, it makes them happen... something about getting your subconscious to work for you, or guardian angels or higher selves... (some new age silliness... considering who told it to me, it could have been any one of those things, but I'm not entirely sure which it is now. Personally I think it boils down to "If you know what you want it's easier to get it.")

The point of this is that I mentioned a few posts back that I was making a list of winter hardy cactus that I wanted for the yard.

Well, I walked into Lowes, right after I picked up my truck, because I wanted to buy a little piece of nothing that I needed for a repair job... and I saw a cactus sitting on their plant clearance rack. In really beautiful shape... not at all like the others on the rack which were beat up beyond redemption... I grabbed it without even giving it a second thought... and after I got it home, I looked at the tag, and it's an Oreocereus celsianus, aka Peruvian Old Man Cactus. The tag said not to let it get below 45 degrees, but I'm pretty sure that's what it says on all the cactus tags at lowes.

Well, it's on my list. The first plant I wrote on my list... (erie, huh?)

I since researched a little more... conflicting info and all, and it's definitely hardy to 10 degrees, so I'll be putting him in the rock garden this weekend... and I'll take a pic of him in his new home. The real problem will not be the cold, but the heat... they are native to high, mountainous deserts, and summer heat may stress him...

Work was good. Air Conditioning is a wonderful thing.

And now I'm making a new list.

I want a new truck. I want a greenhouse. I want a house on five acres. I want 10 million dollars...

Hey, if it works for plants, why not?
Later.

4 comments:

  1. Your new cactus looks wonderful all celaned up and planted! Glad work went well. Hey, be sure to cross this cactus off this top of your list so the second one on the list becomes the first...that way you will find that next one very soon!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The cactus looks great! Hope the rest of your list comes just as easy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. claude- I made a list...First on my list is a new truck for you!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on you find at Lowes. I too hit the Lowes clearance rack last weekend. Got a nice agave.

    ReplyDelete