Sunday, August 16, 2009

Dragonfly....

I know I posted earlier today... but I was doing something in the back yard, when this guy flew up... he darted around in a very maddening way before he finally settled long enough for me to take a pic...



Now, I've seen lots of dragonflies in my life, but never one quite so violently red... this picture doesn't do him justice! He almost strobed in the Texas morning sun.


If anybody knows exactly what kind of dragonfly this is, I'd be really, really glad to hear it! Btw, there was another one flying around also, not quite as red, more an orange coloration... maybe it's another kind, maybe they're the male and female of the same species, or maybe the coloration just varies. It wasn't sitting down for no dang pictures though...

8 comments:

  1. Is it a Red Skimmer (Libellula saturata)? Seems like you've accomplished a near-impossible feat with that lovely pic. I've never been able to able to get a dragonfly to rest on my hand before. I guess it requires a certain steadiness or maybe a special magnetism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pudgeduck... he is pretty awesome, isn't he?

    Walk2write...That might be him... but when I did a web search, it took me to a dragonfly site that had extremely close-up pics, and his tail doesn't seem fat enough, and his wings are longer in proportion to his body... and he actually seems brighter colored. He's not on my hand by the way... He's still sitting on his stick, my hand is about 3 inches under him...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe he's an adolescent and hasn't grown into his wings yet. And he doesn't seem to be fearful enough to be an adult--too little experience with the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a beautiful dragonfly. Most of the ones here are a brown color, although we do have one called an Orange Skinner. Would rather have the red, though!
    Aiyana

    ReplyDelete
  5. !!!WOW!!! Never seen a red dragonfly...cool!
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I've never seen anything close! He is gorgeous- how you ever got such great pictures?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow..you're so lucky to have that red dragonfly landed on your hand! That's one beautiful dragonfly.

    ReplyDelete