Monday, September 08, 2008

found these mushrooms growing on a rotted log in a city park in Garland... They're old, and starting to dry out, which will make them hard to ID, but they look a lot like a chanterelle, except those kind don't usually grow on wood, they grow out of the ground. Anyway, they were huge, about 8 inches across the top, and I really wish I'd been there when they were in their prime. Anyway, actually had a decent day, untill about 2:30 and I had to wait in the park for an hour.

Today I started picking up Aluminum cans, ended up with about 2 lbs worth of them... I'll throw them in my recycle bin. I probably won't get rich, but it gives me something to do in the warehouse districts between orders. It used to be real difficult to find aluminum for recycling, but for some reason the vagrants have stopped picking them up... and now there's certain parts of town where they pop up overnight like mushrooms after a summer rain.

It's raining right now, which figures, as it looks like my Cereus was going to actually open up one of it's buds tonight. I've gone out and took pics in the rain before, but I don't know if I'll be inclined this evening. If so, I'll be sure to post it... with any luck the rain will pass before midnight, when the blooms are usually fully opened...

3 comments:

  1. We recycle here- I saw all the cans in my families bins- had them save them for me-and I make about $11.00 a month! We get 70 cents a lb.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's odd that the vagrants stopped picking them up. I wonder why? I read one time most people won't stoop over to pick up a penny because it isn't worth their time. Years ago, I used to walk (or jog) about 5 miles every day after work, and I always stopped to pick up change. After about a year, I had over $60. Not much, but better than nothing!
    Aiyana

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe I missed this post of yours! Strange, as I am usually reading every detail of what you post! This is a cool mushroom...how can you find out if you could eat any of these, or would it be too scary? I would be a big chicken, more than likely!
    We would have to take our cans to a special place to make money on them, I think! We recycle aluminum soda cans in our bins at home, but we have to pay to get them picked up!!!

    ReplyDelete