Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Well... at least it's not a movie post...

So... I spent the day working day labor on this building....


The really interesting thing about this building is that it was origionally slave quarters.   

Here in New Orleans, many houses have these smaller buildings across the courtyards that were originally used as housing for slaves.  Of course, after the end of slavery, they were either used as servants quarters, or converted to carriage hpuses or garages.   Now days, since live in servants are rare, the ones not converted to vehicles are being converted to apartments for family or rental.

This one, as far as we can tell, was never converted to much past servants quarters.  About 50 years ago, it appears a cement floor was laid down and tje interior walls that separated it into 4 spaces(2 up, 2 down) were removed, And seems to have been used for storage and not much else since.  The exterior has siding covering the 14 inch wide knotty pine boards So  that it matches the main house.

BTW...a far we can tell, this building is much older than the main house which was replaced aproximately 100 years ago, and updated with an American Craftsman look in the 40s.  

They taught me how to run a jackhammer.  I then proceeded to take out the concrete floor.  Not the most fun I've ever had.

We then spent a while discovering the original fireplace site... some old animal bones, a couple of buried bottles... all that sort of thing.  We then cleaned up some more.  There was some minor drama around another temp that came in with me... but he was gone by noon and the less said the better, and I have to go back tomorrow.  

And that's my day...

I really need another movie job.  One where I sit around doing nothing all day.

1 comment:

  1. It is kinda neat that you are learning all these great skills! Jackhammer, maybe not so great, but all the other stuff! I keep hoping you will become famous!
    :)
    Julie

    ReplyDelete