Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Rocks & stuff...

I finally, and belatedly, have to think SAM at http://learningtoheal-walk2write.blogspot.com/ for the wonderful box of specimen rocks that he sent me. He had a little trivia game, and both Julie, at http://asucculentlife.blogspot.com/ and I won... although I am proud to say that I knew what fossilized dinosaur poop looked like and she didn't... What can I say, I'm a Texan, we know manure when we see it...

Now I'm certainly not a geologist or a rock hound, but over the last few months I have been picking up rocks here and there, with the ultimate goal of setting in another rock garden. Most of them are just native rocks that I get when I deliver to various sites... I always ask if I can take them, and the construction crews really don't care.

But in amongst them, are the occasional fossils...

And I sometimes find an ammonite... Though not a complete one yet...

And these are my favorite fossils, althought they're probably the least significant. Rocks with holes all the way through them... (Mom always jokingly called them holey rocks) These are the fossilized tunnels of worms and such digging through the mud...


I do have a fossilized nautilus... but I can't, for the life of me get a decent pic of it...
and that's my rocks. Nothing too exciting, but I'm afraid that's about the best I can do today...

3 comments:

  1. Oh, you have some pretty cool rock collections there! The closest thing to a rock in south Florida, would be shells, I suppose! I am looking forward to finding some on vacations though...whenever one ever happens again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've got some great looking sections of ammonites, Claude! Many moons ago, I found a few small, pearlized ones in Missouri. They were neat looking but only a couple inches in diameter. Unfortunately over the years all the fossils in my collection (spare on lonely trilobite from Grafton, Illinois) were sold or lost in the shuffle from one place to another. Actually, I think I remember that similar fossils are found in the phosphate mines around Tampa. I don't recall if they are cephelapods, pelecypods, or ammonites - I will have to do a little more research and see if any collecting areas are still open to the public.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love rocks too. Never found any fossils, but my chocolate flagstone seating wall has fossilized fern patterns in it. I like to look for heart shaped rocks. On a garden tour several years ago, I saw a huge courtyard with nothing put heart shaped rocks used rather than pavers. The owner had collected all of them over the years. It was spectacular!
    Aiyana

    ReplyDelete