Monday, July 07, 2008

curse you Wal Mart...

So, it was the end of a rather boring day, I was 30 miles from home and I had to get a few things anyway... and there's a wal mart. How convienent, right... so I walk in there, and here's this poor little cactus drowning in 2 inches of water...

I actually think that wal-mart does this intentionally. It's all part of their evil marketing conspiracy... they know that no one would ever buy their plants under normal circumstances, so they intentionally torture them to bring out our rescue instinct...

Anyway, it's a Mammillaria that divides dichotomously... but it doesn't look exactly like a parkinsonii (the middle spines aren't long enough, they're less than 1/8th of an inch) and it doesn't look exactly like a karwinsiana either... so I'm not sure exactly what I ended up with... I'm leaning toward parkinsonii... I've heard of a shorter spined variety, but I haven't seen it yet, so I'm gonna assume this is it until some kind person out there tells me otherwise...







If anybody has any ideas of the specific name for the plant, don't hesitate to let me know...

Hope everybody had a great 4th. I did absolutely nothing at all...

4 comments:

  1. You are right about their evil marketing conspiracy, you know they read our blogs!-the spines look like little spiders close up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The problem is--not everyone who shops at Wal-Mart knows how to take care of cactus so they assume they should be watered constantly since that's what they see at Wal-Mart. I really don't think the folks they employ in the garden department know much of anything about plant care, or the difference between cacti and potted flower care.
    Aiyana

    ReplyDelete
  3. By the way, I agree that your cactus doesn't look like either species. It's closer in appearance to several other Mammillaria species, but they normally don't divide dichotomously. It definitley looks like it needs more light though.
    Aiyana

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Claude! I have no clue...but maybe Aiyana will come along...she would know!!! It is a cute one!
    Your posts always make me laugh out loud...you are so funny! Love your EVIL WALMART label!!! I think you could be a stand up comedian! LOL.

    ReplyDelete