Sunday, February 21, 2010

cactus babe update 2

well, the cactus are starting to get their little juvenile cactus spines... unfortunately, it's impossibe to take a pic of them. They're just too tiny...

so I came up with an artist impression of them...




really, they're cute as the dickens...
Juvenile spines on cactus aren't really spines, they're more like little hairs than anything else... some species will begin producing adult spination within a month, some will take years. I'm not sure about these escobaria off hand, but I believe it will be 3 to 6 months...

Not much happening here... I'm was working 7 days a week, but I'm taking Mondays off now... I just needed a day to do laundry and such... but I'm running too much to take pics right now, not that there's much to take pics of anyway. Texas in winter ain't purdy, unless it's snowing and (1) it doesn't really snow that much here and (2) after you've taken one pic of the cactus with snow on it, you've pretty much taken all of them...
Anyway, just a quick post before I head off to church, then to the flea market where I'll be a cashier/notary public for the afternoon...
later

5 comments:

  1. Very nice. I think you've completely and utterly embodied the likeness of all succulent sprouts! :) I've never germinated anything with spines but I bet I'd be pretty darn proud when the first ones formed. I get excited when anything grows as little as a micron. Have fun at the flea market!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love your cactus baby! I tried a cactus seed mixture with my granddaughter and have one that is doing OK- he looks like you picture!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Claude! Love your artistic impression!!! So cute!!! I miss seeing any of your art and I also miss seeing some of your neat stuff at the flea market!!! Hint, hint! We visited a street painting festival today and went into one of my all time fav antique malls and I thought of you! So much to see...but had 4 people and it is hard to go slow enough...I need to go down one morning all alone to really be able to see it all.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That artist rendering cracked me up. I think you deserve extra credit points for it! Piles of points.

    ReplyDelete