Sunday, April 28, 2013

Giant Pumpkin Sprouts...

My host has planted Atlantic Giant Pumpkins this year. This is cool, since he has grandkids, it'll be a fun thing. I've done some research... the current worlds record is 2009 pounds of pumpkin. No, that's not a typo.

Of course, those record weights are achieved in cooler climates than ours, along with astronomical amounts of water, plant foods, and maintenance. The biggest grown in Texas is 600 + lbs. Here, with normal care, it'll get between 100 and 200 lbs, and that's fine.

Everything about the plant is supersized. Here's the seedling... with a quarter on the leaf...

3 comments:

  1. How fun!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see the pumpkins that plant will produce! My first gardening experience as a child was growing a pumpkin from seed. Every kid should nurture a pumpkin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claude,

    I will admit that all the time I have spent in nurseries, farmers markets and flipping through seed pack displays, I have never come across Atlantic Giant Pumpkins. Please keep us posted, I will be most interested in it growth (spreading) habit and production volume. – gary

    ReplyDelete