Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Well, It looks like I kinda know what I'm growing now...

The unidentified Mammillaria has been identified as Mammillaria sonorensis v. craigii


The problem is that the darn thing isn't supposed to be winter hardy here... I'm in zone 7b and it's not supposed to be hardy above zone 9. Now it did survive outside last year, but it was an extremely mild winter... but, hopefully I'll get some seed and I'll be able to test the hardiness with seedlings... I'll be digging this guy up and taking it in over the winter...







The Opuntia gossliniana is doing good... these bright purple pads fade to blue gray after they grow up. When I bought this, I thought I was getting a Santa Rita... a plant that is purple, the new pads being green... I wasn't too happy with this, but it is growing on me. Unfortunately, it's a rather slow grower, only putting out new growth in the spring, unlike most Opuntias which will put up a new pad whenever the urge hits them...

1 comment:

  1. Hi Claude! Nice cactus! (I think that is pleural)!!! I know you were sad not to have a santa rita, but glad the green is growing on you! I love all succulents and cactus too, I also love to thrift! I am enjoying looking at your blog!

    ReplyDelete